By Josh Datko
Browse anonymously, speak secretly, and create customized safeguard recommendations with open resource software program, the BeagleBone Black, and cryptographic hardware
About This Book
- Interface with cryptographic so as to add defense in your embedded undertaking, securing you from exterior threats.
- Use and construct purposes with depended on anonymity and protection software program like Tor and GPG to protect your privateness and confidentiality.
- Work with low point I/O on BeagleBone Black like I2C, GPIO, and serial interfaces to create customized applications.
Who This publication Is For
If you've a few adventure with the BeagleBone or comparable embedded platforms and wish to benefit extra approximately safeguard and privateness, this e-book is for you. then again, in case you have a safety and privateness historical past and need to benefit extra approximately embedded improvement, this e-book is for you. you will have a few familiarity with Linux structures and with the C and Python programming languages.
What you'll Learn
- Build a whole BeagleBone improvement surroundings with Emacs and sleek Emacs extensions
- Understand how Tor protects web privateness and the way to run a Tor bridge
- Add customized to the BeagleBone's I2C, serial, GPIO, and analog to electronic interfaces
- Gain perception into the BeagleBone cape environment via exploring the layout of the CryptoCape
- Use a relied on Platform Module to guard your GPG keys
- Build an Off-the-Record chat gateway
- Develop and learn possibility versions for security-related projects
The BeagleBone Black is a small yet strong low-powered machine that may be used to guard own secrets and techniques and permit privateness bettering applied sciences. With expanding issues over web surveillance, you could mix time-tested open resource protection software program with the small shape issue of the BeagleBone Black to create customized own protection applications.
Starting with an creation to improvement with the BeagleBone Black, we will assist you to use the BeagleBone to create customized initiatives regarding safety and privateness. each one bankruptcy offers the background and history of every expertise with a self-contained and useful venture. you will discover units equivalent to a fingerprint scanner and the relied on Platform Module at the CryptoCape whereas studying approximately authentication and encryption. jam-packed with initiatives that make the most of safety instruments utilized by newshounds, activists, and govt brokers, this publication indicates you ways to use those instruments with a BeagleBone Black.
Read or Download BeagleBone for Secret Agents PDF
Similar cryptography books
As a result swift progress of electronic verbal exchange and digital information alternate, details protection has develop into a vital factor in undefined, company, and management. smooth cryptography presents crucial thoughts for securing info and retaining info. within the first half, this e-book covers the major innovations of cryptography on an undergraduate point, from encryption and electronic signatures to cryptographic protocols.
This ebook constitutes the refereed court cases of the seventh foreign Workshop on idea and perform in Public Key Cryptography, PKC 2004, held in Singapore in March 2004. The 32 revised complete papers provided have been rigorously reviewed and chosen from 106 submissions. All present matters in public key cryptography are addressed starting from theoretical and mathematical foundations to a wide number of public key cryptosystems.
This e-book makes a truly obtainable creation to an important modern program of quantity concept, summary algebra, and chance. It comprises a variety of computational examples all through, giving freshmen the chance to use, perform, and cost their figuring out of key techniques. KEY issues assurance begins from scratch in treating chance, entropy, compression, Shannon¿s theorems, cyclic redundancy tests, and error-correction.
- Network Security, 1st Edition
- QC-LDPC Code-Based Cryptography (SpringerBriefs in Electrical and Computer Engineering)
- Simple Steps to Data Encryption: A Practical Guide to Secure Computing
- Signal Design for Good Correlation: For Wireless Communication, Cryptography, and Radar
- Transactions on Data Hiding and Multimedia Security IX: Special Issue on Visual Cryptography (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
Additional resources for BeagleBone for Secret Agents
Using Tor with a client helps to anonymize your IP address to a server, but a Tor hidden service hides the server's IP address from a client. It would be an interesting project for a BeagleBone if you had a service that you want accessible only through Tor. Hardware-wise, consider placing the BeagleBone and front panel in a dedicated enclosure. See whether there is a local hackerspace around you, and they may be able to help you make a nice laser-cut enclosure! If you don't have a laser cutter, you can use a SparkFun Electronics box like the one in the following screenshot: The onion logo is a registered trademark of the Tor Project, used with permission.
Refer to Chapter 1, Creating Your BeagleBone Black Development Environment, for additional resources on cryptography and terms used in this section. Adding Hardware Security with the CryptoCape Understanding the advantages of hardwarebased cryptography For the advantages of hardware cryptography, we'll focus on the embedded environment since that is the target use case of BBB. While chip manufacturers may provide a laundry list of advantages, there are two main categories: cryptographic acceleration and key isolation features.
Sizing a resistor is straightforward using Ohm's Law; we just need to know the forward voltage drop and the max current of the LED. This information is found in the datasheet. 2V. Ohm's Law states that voltage is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance, or V = IR. 020 Amps gives 55 Ohms. 55 Ohms isn't a standard value, but 56 is, so you can use this. But, you can always use a higher resistance value, and the LED will just be less bright. The resistor used in this project had a value of 100 Ohms.