By Antonio Luque, Steven Hegedus
The so much accomplished, authoritative and commonly mentioned reference on photovoltaic sun energy
Fully revised and up to date, the Handbook of Photovoltaic technology and Engineering, moment Edition comprises the great technological advances and study advancements in photovoltaics due to the fact its past free up. All themes on the subject of the photovoltaic (PV) are mentioned with contributions through exclusive overseas specialists within the field.
Significant new insurance includes:
- three thoroughly new chapters and 6 chapters with new authors
- device constructions, processing, and production recommendations for the 3 significant skinny movie PV technologies
- high functionality methods for multijunction, concentrator, and area applications
- new forms of natural polymer and dye-sensitized sun cells
- economic research of assorted coverage concepts to stimulate PV progress together with impact of private and non-private investment
Detailed therapy covers:
- scientific foundation of the photovoltaic impact and sunlight phone operation
- the construction of sunlight silicon and of silicon-based sunlight cells and modules
- how collection of semiconductor fabrics and their creation impression expenditures and performance
- making measurements on sun cells and modules and the way to narrate effects below standardised try out stipulations to actual outdoors performance
- photovoltaic process deploy and operation of parts resembling inverters and batteries.
- architectural functions of building-integrated PV
Each bankruptcy is established to be partly available to newcomers whereas delivering distinct info of the physics and expertise for specialists. Encompassing a evaluation of earlier paintings and the basics in sun electrical technology, it is a prime reference and helpful source for all practitioners, experts, researchers and scholars within the PV industry.
Read or Download Handbook of Photovoltaic Science and Engineering PDF
Best alternative & renewable books
Booklet by way of Mazria, Edward
The most aim of writing the 3 quantity 'Advances in solar power expertise' is to consolidate all of the proper newest info to be had within the box of solar power (applied and theoretical in nature) and to as sist either the scholars ( i. e. undergraduate, postgraduate, examine students and so forth.
The main complete, authoritative and greatly pointed out reference on photovoltaic solar power absolutely revised and up-to-date, the guide of Photovoltaic technology and Engineering, moment variation comprises the colossal technological advances and study advancements in photovoltaics given that its past unlock.
Supplying serious stories of contemporary advances in photochemistry together with natural and computational elements, the most recent quantity within the sequence displays the present pursuits during this quarter. additionally it is a chain of highlights on molecular units, worldwide synthetic photosynthesis, silicon nanoparticles, solar power conversion, natural heterogeneous photocatalysis and photochemistry in surface-water environments.
- Wind Power: Turbine Design, Selection, and Optimization
- Renewable Energy in the Service of Mankind Vol I: Selected Topics from the World Renewable Energy Congress WREC 2014
- Clean Electricity from Photovoltaics (2nd Edition) (Series on Photoconversion of Solar Energy)
- Biofuels for Transport: Global Potential and Implications for Sustainable Energy and Agriculture
Additional resources for Handbook of Photovoltaic Science and Engineering
5 What is the physical basis of PV operation? Solar cells are typically made of semiconductor materials, which have weakly bonded electrons occupying a band of energy called the valence band. When energy exceeding a certain threshold, called the bandgap energy, is applied to a valence electron, the bonds are broken and the electron is somewhat “free” to move around in a new energy band called the conduction band where it can “conduct” electricity through the material1 . Thus, the free electrons in the conduction band are separated from the valence band by the bandgap (measured in units of electron volts or eV).
It was nearly 30 cm2 in area. He noted, “the current, if not wanted immediately, can be either stored where produced, in storage batteries, . . ” This man foresaw today’s PV technology and applications over a hundred years ago. The modern era of photovoltaics started in 1954 when researchers at Bell Labs in the US accidentally discovered that pn junction diodes generated a voltage when the room lights were on. Within a year, they had produced a 6% efﬁcient Si pn junction solar cell . In the same year, the group at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in the US published results of a thin ﬁlm heterojunction solar cell based on Cu2 S/CdS also having 6% efﬁciency .
To be a good absorber of solar energy on earth, a semiconductor should have a bandgap between about 1 and 2 eV. 3. 6 ACHIEVEMENTS AND CHALLENGES OF SOLAR ELECTRICITY FROM PV electrons are delivered with an energy of about 1 eV). The electrical power produced is the product of the current times the voltage; that is, power is the number of free electrons times their electric charge times their voltage. Brighter sunlight causes more electrons to be freed resulting in more power generated. Sunlight is a spectrum of photons distributed over a range of energy.